Something you NEED to do the Next Time you have a Free Moment…
CLEAN YOUR MAKEUP BRUSHES!!!
To those of you who are side-eyeing this post saying “Please, I wash mine all the time, duh!” ….a slow clap for you. You are among the few.
To those of you who are sitting there guiltily behind your computer screen because NEVER ONCE have you washed your brushes… shame on you! It’s so easy (and important) to do, you really have no excuse. Read on to learn how, when, and why you need to keep your brushes clean!
Believe it or not, you DON’T need some fancy, expensive cleaner made specially for makeup brushes. In fact, the items you need are probably already hiding in your kitchen!
- Antibacterial hand soap or dish soap… gentle formulas are best, but not necessarily required
- Olive oil or baby oil
- Paper towels
- Mug, or some other container to dry brushes in
For most brushes, particularly ones with synthetic bristles, all you need is your antibacterial soap. As long as you don’t wash them too vigorously, submerge them in water, or dry them incorrectly, you’re not going to hurt your brushes at all by washing them with just this basic ingredient.
- Start by running your brushes under warm water. Make sure you point your brushes downwards and don’t allow water to work it’s way up into the ferrule, which is the metal part of your brush where the bristles are fastened in place. If you do get water up there, it could ruin the glue that holds the bristles in place, and make them fall out.
- Put a tiny amount of antibacterial soap into the palm of your hand, and swirl your wet brush through the soap. Be gentle, but don’t be afraid to really work the soap into the bristles to get them clean (of course, make sure you don’t get water/soap in the ferrule!)
- Rinse the soap out of your brushes completely, and then if necessary, repeat the same process. Remember that after you’ve used your brushes a couple times, they probably won’t go back to the same beautiful color they were when they were brand new, but you can get them pretty close.
- If your foundation or some other stubborn makeup just won’t come out of your brush, it’s time to break out the oil. Put a very small amount in the palm of your hand, and work it gently into your brush as you did your soap. This should make the makeup melt out, quite literally! A little squeezing and another soaping up should get your brushes nice and clean. The oil can be difficult to get out completely, but definitely not impossible.
- Drying your brushes properly is very important. Gently squeeze out excess water with a paper towel, and then dry them upside down (with the bristles pointing downward) in some sort of container. This way the water will come out of the brush, instead of running down into the ferrule!
Ideally, you would wash your brushes after every use - of course this is pretty impossible for most people, so once a week is the goal. AT LEAST. Going weeks, or months, without washing your brushes is honestly pretty gross. Your makeup brushes don’t just pick up makeup, but also oil and dirt from your face, dust and bacteria from the air around you and the containers they’re stored in. Every time you use your brush, all of those things are transferred onto your skin. Dirty brushes can cause breakouts, infections, and all kinds of unfortunate things that could otherwise be easily prevented!
Dirty brushes can also manipulate your makeup application, because products won’t go on as smoothly as they would with a clean brush. The more often you wash your brushes, the longer your brushes will last!
So go! Go now! Get off the computer and spend 5-10 minutes to benefit your skin, your makeup, and your health! I promise it’s worth it.
- livelaughlovelizz reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- fuckthehipsters likes this
- kazgran04 likes this
- thevainbarbiie reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- kaykat14o likes this
- dnacosmetics likes this
- fictionaisleromancenovels likes this
- neon-crisis likes this
- hakuna-mytataz reblogged this from breakthebricks
- breakthebricks reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- my-sweet-nothings likes this
- bootietoot reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- sailorlynn reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- welcometothenumb likes this
- monsterandunicorn reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- labellexlabete likes this
- fireineyesandheart likes this
- laragazzadrownedintherabbithole reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- laragazzadrownedintherabbithole likes this
- carlieking likes this
- razzledazzledmee likes this
- deermaster likes this
- mendingending likes this
- mermaidpalette likes this
- armlessbear likes this
- kylesrayner likes this
- valerievaleria likes this
- eclaireevans reblogged this from moonblossom
- screwthisnaming reblogged this from oldmanstephanie
- dekirudake likes this
- levynite reblogged this from moonblossom
- levynite likes this
- professorfonz likes this
- winifredweatherbee reblogged this from moonblossom
- shypster reblogged this from moonblossom
- in-apogee likes this
- whyarealltheurlsarlreadytaken likes this
- majormaia reblogged this from moonblossom
- therenboy likes this
- blandtea likes this
- dilettantehanashi likes this
- vinscinia reblogged this from moonblossom
- phoenixinlove likes this
- jmchau reblogged this from moonblossom
- eclaireevans likes this
- highfunctioningbenaddict likes this
- withthesecinderedbones likes this
- moonblossom reblogged this from tu-verras-on-va-voir
- moonblossom likes this
- tu-verras-on-va-voir reblogged this from oldmanstephanie