If you are anything at all like me, and like 5 million + other people out there, the very reason you started wearing makeup was to hide blemishes on your skin. Between pimples, freckles, undereye circles and wrinkles, your skin gets a hard rep, and most often we choose to damage our skin rather than take care of it. No amount of makeup is going to look as good if the skin underneath is crying out for help. Beauty starts on the inside, and in order to become as radiant as possible, you have to take care of your body, including your epidermis!! (Thats skin in science talk.)
Get to Know your Face!
It is important to fully understand what type of skin you have in order to pick out products that will actually work and enhance your natural beauty! Being educated and knowledgable will help you nourish, protect, and beautify your pretty face.
- Normal Skin: You’re one of the lucky ones - your skin usually looks and feels smooth, but can also react to changes in the environment… you can become oilier in the summer and drier in the winter. You should pick foundations and powders for normal skin, focusing on matching your skin tone and finding a natural formula. You should only use pressed powder when your skin feels oily, and use moisturizer during the winter to keep your skin fresh.
- Dry Skin: Your skin will dry out naturally as you age, as the oil glands decrease their output. Dryness may also reflect your skin’s sensitivity to skin care products, cleansers, or even your diet and emotions. Choose double-duty foundations that moisturize while helping to smooth the appearance of the skin’s surface. Avoid alcohol-based products, such as harsh toners or astringents, at all costs. Instead, moisturize like crazy, multiple times a day, and hydrate yourself by drinking sugar free WATER several times a day.
- Oily Skin: Oily skin is shiny and sticky. It starts the day by feeling clean and fresh, but by noon it feels greasy and slick, often causing your makeup to slide off. To help combat oil, start your day with a deep cleanser that will wash away dirt, oil, and fight bacteria. Try foundation that is meant to control oily skin, and top with powder foundation or translucent powder. You should avoid touching your face continuously throught the day, because oils from your hands get transferred from your palms and fingers without you even realizing it. Also, you should change your pillowcases often, because oil can get trapped in the cloth from your face, skin care products, and your hair, and it will later irritate your skin!
- Combination Skin: Usually, this skin type will express its unique qualities with oil in your T-zone and normal or dry skin everywhere else. The only way to correct this is to find a healthy skin promoting foundation for your face, and adding powder to oily areas. Use a flexible makeup routine to help cope with combination skin’s many moods!
- Sensitive Skin: Your face will get easily blotchy or irritated when coming into contact with makeup, hair products, or even sudden changes in temperature or humidity. Typical reactions ar itching, burning, chafing, stinging, or hives. Avoid harsh face products and makeup that is scented or contains a lot of chemicals. Your best bet is to go as natural as possible, since chemicals or additives can increase sensitivity. Use an unscented moisturizer to strengthen your skin and provide a barrier against irritants, and see a dermatologist if your sensitivity becomes unbearable or you break out frequently.