How to Do 90s Makeup: Trends, Looks, Products & Tutorial
90s makeup is makeup that borders on tastelessness and is replete with bright colors. But not all makeup styles in the 90s were the same. There were several different options, which gave free rein to bright experiments. Today we will tell you the details about makeup from the 90s.
90s style makeup features
The beginning of the 90s is still closely intertwined with the fashion for makeup in the 80s: bright shadows, thick eyeliners and other sharp and variegated touches. When Western cosmetics came to us, many girls began to experiment with their looks and not always successfully.
In particular, the image of our women was bright – lush hairstyles, often curls, shiny, brown or metallic lips, and shiny or matte bright shadows on the eyelids. Girls tinted their cheekbones with blush and wore chokers.
90s makeup style and trends
- Minimalism. Natural makeup with matte products. Powder and blush in natural shades of pink and peach, nude, brown and terracotta lipstick, lips are emphasized with a darker contour;
- Grunge. “Ragged” haircuts, extraordinary hair color, pale skin color, thickly lined eyes with false eyelashes and lipstick in dark saturated shades: dark brown, black, cherry, burgundy, purple, violet. A 90s grunge makeup was extremely popular;
- Electrician. Matte textures of shadows, foundations and lipsticks, natural eyebrows, cheekbones emphasized by blush and luscious lips in natural shades.
90s supermodels, actresses and pop singers enjoyed the availability of beauty tools for makeup and knew how to follow the advice of their own stylists and successfully followed them.
90s style icons
Such makeup has a lot in common with fashion trends that were in America in the first half of the 80s. The features of the period are also the brightness, shocking and the desire to express yourself.
The makeup of that time cannot be called ultra bright. The face should have looked as if you had just washed: fresh and very natural, but with painted lips and eyeliner. This was the classic makeup of the 90s.
The most famous style icons of the 90s include:
- Sharon Stone;
- Cindy Crawford;
- Drew Barrymore;
- Kate Moss;
- Kylie Jenner;
- Courtney Love;
- Jennifer Aniston;
- Julia Roberts.
There were no specific rules in creating makeup, the main thing is that the face should be painted. The main emphasis was on excessive brightness and epatage. We can say that the make-up and hairstyle of the 90s is a mixture of all the available techniques and styles.
Step-by-step instructions on how to do a makeup of the 90s
You will need the following beauty products:
Giorgio Armani, Power Fabric foundation
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Matte Bronzer, Medium
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Precision Eyebrow Pencil, Blonde
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Eyeshadow Base Primer, Skin Tone
UD Naked Ultimate Basics Eyeshadow Palette
Giorgio Armani Rouge D’armani Sheer Hydrating Lipcolor – # 204 Far Away
Now is the time for the most interesting part of this article – makeup tutorial. You got acquainted with the theory, and now it is high time to try this image. Follow our instructions and create a real original image of that time.
- Thoroughly cleanse your face with toner, micellar water, or whatever remedy you have;
- Experienced makeup artists recommend not using tonic cream for this make-up and masking flaws only with a cor-rector, but if you cannot imagine how you can create makeup without a cream, then apply a little product with a professional brush or sponge;
- Apply a small layer of powder evenly to your face;
- Highlight the cheeks with blush. At that time, the most common color for them was pink;
- Give your brows a clear line and line them up with black eyeliner or eye shadow of a suitable shade;
- Draw your eyes along the contour of the eyelids with a black or brown pencil. If you prefer to use eyeliner, then do it;
- Apply shadows to the upper eyelid and tint the eyelashes with mascara. By the way, at that time false eyelashes were popular and if you now have extended eyelashes, they will look great;
- Paint your lips with your favorite shade and you’re done!
Tips & Tricks
Read the advice and guidance of experienced makeup artists and stylists:
- To create makeup from the 90s, you should not use a foundation, only a concealer;
- Eyebrows should be neat, natural;
- Eyes must be emphasized with eyeliner for maximum expressiveness;
- For a clear lip shape, use a pencil of a darker shade than lipstick;
- Lips should be glossy, but not pearlescent.
Best 90s clothes and hairstyle images
Make sure your makeup matches the outfit you wear to the party. Pick up leggings or a miniskirt in bright colors, a torn T-shirt and a shiny jacket with rhinestones in advance.
If there are no such “rarities” in your wardrobe, then you can always use high-rise jeans, a cropped jacket, a bright-colored T-shirt with slogans.
Fancy stiletto heels with sparkling embellishments are perfect for leggings and a miniskirt. For a denim suit, choose soft textile shoes, sneakers.
If you have long hair, curl and comb through it. Focus on bangs. Even if you wear a haircut, your hair must be voluminous.
You can make a ponytail on the top of the head and wrap its base with a bright ribbon to match the clothes. You can also use a sparkling oversized barrette. A special “trick” of the 90s was hairspray with glitters, fix the hairstyle with it.
Check out some 90s fashion inspiration images:
If you correctly observe all of the above nuances, then you will certainly get a bright and incendiary image of a “disco star of the 90s”. All you have to do is tune in to a great mood and the party will be a success!
You can learn how to do makeup in the style of the 90s from the video: